Residents Against Intrusive Development
Protecting Our Future
Visit our website:
or online forum at:
Post Office Box 5075
Alexandra Hills, Qld 4161
Email: info AT superquarry.com.au
MEDIA RELEASE : Community backlash against Super Quarry
Angry residents have arranged for a public meeting to draw attention to a new 40 million tonne super quarry development planned for the iconic Mt Cotton in the Redlands. The new quarry will result in 70,000 to 90,000 truck movements per year through the Redlands and Logan shires.
Local resident and environmental scientist Mr Ian Bridge said "there is a lot of anger in the community over the way the state government has helped support a large Melbourne based quarry company and ignored local community safety and environmental concerns".
The new State Planning Policy for Extractive Industries, passed by cabinet last week was drafted with quarry operators but without local community input. The policy places planning restrictions on hundreds of property owners across the state and commits some urban communities to thousands of trucks annually for many decades.
"The only government notification most affected properties have received are property devaluation notices from the Department of Natural Resources and Water" said Mr Bridge. "It is a disgraceful indictment of a Government that has lost contact with the community".
Mt Cotton and its surrounds have iconic status for Redlands and Logan residents with the region's most significant Koala population and a unique rainforest community. Redlands Councilor Toni Bowler said "The Government is just hell bent on ignoring the local community and destroying the value of the one of the most significant koala habitats in Australia".
The property for the proposed new super quarry at Mt Cotton was to be zoned as a protected conservation area until purchased by the Melbourne based Barro quarry group in 2003. The Redlands Council was then directed by State government to rezone the land to make way for the new super quarry. The quarry is expected to have a 60 year life and will end up being nearly 1 kilometer in diameter and 5 metres below sea level.
Some of the home owners have lived in the area for over 30 years and now have a new neighbour. With the support of state government, a new super quarry will be developed within 100 metres of their properties. A representative from the Department of Natural Resources advised that the devaluations were a result of the close proximity of the proposed new quarry to homes.
Under the new State Planning Policy the requirement for quarry owned buffer zones had changed, allowing the new Mt Cotton super quarry to encroach on the property boundaries of local residents. It is estimated that nearly 10 million dollars has been wiped off the market value of these properties.
Mr Bridge said that there is a plentiful supply of less sensitive resources. "The new super quarry was unnecessary and would supply less than 1.4 per cent of South East Queensland's requirements for extractive materials, yet subject the local community to over 70,000 trucks per year" said Mr Bridge. "Given there are already identified mega-quarry sites in less sensitive rural areas, within 60kms of Brisbane and capable of over 500 years of supply, this urban development is nothing short of stupidity"
Community Meeting 2.30pm Sunday June 17, Mt Cotton Hall, Mt Cotton.
For further details please contact:
Ian Bridge, 0407303770 - Environmental Scientist;
Cr Toni Bowler, 0402323704 Redlands Councilor;
Cr Darren Power, 34125392 Logan Councilor.
... or visit
Released by: Queensland Conservation Ph: 32210188