This is a neat summary of what informed sources tell us about Russia's aims are and its conduct to date in the Ukraine conflict. It was posted as a comment to an artless AUKUS-style propaganda article on The Conversation, by James Dwyer, from the School of Social Sciences in Tasmania, entitled, "3 ways Russia has shown military ‘incompetence’ during its invasion of Ukraine," March 14, 2022.
John R Smith responds to Dwyer:
Ukraine losses - (Russian MOD source)3687 military infrastructure
99 aircraft128 unmanned aerial vehicles, 1194 tanks / armored vehicles, 121 multiple launch rocket systems, 443 artillery and mortar991 units of special military vehicles.
As suspected from other evidence the Ukranians have already lost this war - Putin’s aims were clear.1. De-Nazification of the Ukranian Armed forces and Government 2. Autonomy for ethnic Russians - Donbass, Luhansk and the Crimea3. No weapons of Mass destruction - Nuclear, chemical or biological near its borders.
What we have learnt from this proxy war by the US rather than NATO -
- NATO assumed Russia would use ironically, a blitzkreig attack.
- NATO assumed the plan was to overrun vast swathes of country.
- NATO assumed it had global support
Russia has specific objectives it is meeting -
- Cut off major urban centers - armaments are replaceable but cut off the reinorecement or replenishment of troops dead or wounded.
- Secure Nuclear facilites from neo-Nazi elemnets in the Ukranian Defense Forces
- Secure Biloigcal and chemical laboratories - both Government (US) supported and private (US supported)
- Concentrate on the ethnic Russian areas - leaving the West Ukraine relatively untouched.
- Gain air superiority, land superiority and sea superiority.
These strategic aims are being met and are in line with modern urban warfare timetables - slow bu steady steamrolling of the enemy combatants.
Pretending that Russia is weak, incompetent etc etc lead us nowhere on a pathway to peace - we have yet to see the real fearsome elements of the Russian Army - we haven’t seen the bomber fleet etc.
NATO has pumped approx 1 trillion US$ every year since 2014 the year of the Maiden Riots - NATO Is a war machine that needs to expend its arms and make more money for the large war corporations on the US West Coast.