Thursday 28 April 2016 is the 20th anniversary of the Port Arthur massacre. On 28 April 1996, 35 people were killed and 23 others were injured by a single gunman. Later that day, Martin Bryant, a 26 year old man was arrested at the Seascape cottage, some distance away from the site of the massacre, and charged with the murders. He was never tried before a jury for the crime. Martin Bryant initially pleaded not guilty. Allegedly, six weeks after he was arrested and interrogated intensively, isolated from friends and family, he confessed to the crime. As shown in the article Was Martin Bryant the Port Arthur killer? (3/4/2010), this 'confession' flew in the face of overwhelming forensic evidence and eyewitness testimony which pointed to his innocence.
As the 20th anniversary of the massacre approaches, the same 'news' media, that fed us the 'incubator babies' story of 1990, Iraqi WMDs, the Gulf of Tonkin incident, the Warren Commission cover-up of the JFK assassination, claims that the Syrian government had been using chemical weapons against its own people, etc., etc., is trying desperately prevent the broader Australian public from critically examining the Port Arthur Massacre.
On 7 News (linked to from here - second embedded video - Melissa Doyle and Peter Fleck 'report':
Melissa Doyle:Chilling public interviews, with the man responsible for the worst mass shooting, have been shown for the first time by 7 Sunday Night. Martin Bryant laughed and bragged after killing 35 people at Port Arthur in Tasmania. For more, we're joined by Peter Fegan.
Pete, Bryant's lawyer says he's still haunted by this case.
Peter Fegan: John Avery, the man who defended Martin Bryant all those years ago, spoke last night on our Sunday Night program and says he is still haunted by Bryant 20 years on.
Now he ... recalls how Bryant pleaded not guilty to murdering 35 innocent people that day at Port Arthur.
Now, you only had to watch those chilling tapes to understand why he is still haunted. Bryant can often be seen laughing with police. Now here is some of those chilling interviews from that Sunday night program last night.
In fact, only parts of the tapes shown on the Sunday Night program were shown in the 7 news bulletin the next day. On one occasion Martin Bryant is shown smiling, but when asked why by the interviewing officer, Martin responded that he was happy to have been taken out of his prison cell.
Those tapes showed to me a young person who appeared to truly not be aware that 35 people had died and that he had been accused by the police of having killed them.
Whilst Martin demonstrated at length how he practised with his automatic weapons, at not one point in the interview did Martin Bryant admit to having used any of his weapons to harm other people.
The more 'complete' version of those interviews, which total all of 65 seconds, by my measurement, can be found in the embedded Video of Sunday Night at the bottom of the page linked to above.
On Thursday 9 May 2013, the Hobart Mercury alerted its readers to what it claimed was a "vicious international internet campaign [which accuses] two local police officers of being the real killers." Mercury reporter Zara Dawtrey, in the story Port Arthur conspiracy anger, labeled Australian expatriate Keith Noble, who now lives in Austria, a 'conspiracy theorist' :
A conspiracy theorist based in Austria, and claiming to be a former Tasmanian, is writing a book about the massacre in which he claims Bryant is the innocent victim of a killing spree planned and carried out by the government and police.
People who attempt to draw the attention of the public to glaring inconsistencies and anomalies that are often to be found official accounts of events such as the Port Arthur Massacre, have, at least since the time of President Kennedy's murder in 1963, been labelled 'conspiracy theorists'. This is use of an ad hominem attack in order to dissuade others from also considering the evidence given by the person thus labeled. Zara Dawtrey continued :
While Port Arthur conspiracies abound online, Keith Noble is making sure his views reach audiences far beyond the confines of the internet conspiracy community.
Then Prime Minister John Howard professed his abhorrence of killing and firearms after the Port Arthur massacre. He passed laws which drastically reduced the rights of Australians to own firearms. For that John Howard was proclaimed a hero by many members of the Australian Labor Party and many supposed 'bleeding hearts.' John Howard then went on to to help organise the recruitment of mercenary strikebreakers for his 1998 attempt to break the Maritime Union of Australia. In 2003 John Howard knowingly peddled the lie of Iraqi WMDs in order to justify Australia's participation in the illegal invasion of Iraq in which hundreds of thousands of Iraqis died. As Prime Minister he slashed and burned government services using former 'Labor' PM Paul Keating's supposed Budget Black Hole as a pretext. After John Howard was allowed to win the 2004 election with the help of corrupt 'Labor' state Premiers, he privatisatised Telstra in the face of overwhelming public opposition. He then attempted to destroy the working conditions of Australian workers with his infamous Work Choices legislation. Fortunately Work Choices was stopped by a successful public campaign in which the Trade Union movement participated and the Howard Government was turfed out in the 2007 federal elections, John Howard losing his own parliamentary seat of Bennelong.
Keith Noble complained of inaccuracies to Zara Dawtry in an e-mail, a copy of which is attached below, and asked why he had not been contacted prior to the publication of her story in the Mercury.
Keith Noble has, indeed, given away free draft PDF copies of chapters 5 and 10 of his book, including to me. The files have been appended here and here to my article Was Martin Bryant the Port Arthur killer? of 3 April 2010. That article, and the material linked to from that article, convinced Keith Noble that an outrageous miscarriage of justice had occurred. Martin Bryant with an IQ of 66 could not have killed 35 people on that day and that the real killer was still at large.
Keith Noble resolved himself to write a book that would reveal the evidence of Bryant's innocence. In the course of writing he has has received encouragement from witnesses who witnessed the tragic events of that day and who knew Bryant to be innocent.
Martin Bryant, now aged 46, languishing in jail for a crime for which he was never tried for and could not have committed, may soon become the 47 victim of the port Arthur Massacre.
Below is included a letter sent to Zara Dawtrey only yesterday. Any response will be published on candobetter. We will also advise you of any further reporting of this issue in the Hobart Mercury.
Update, 10:07AM, Friday, 9 May 2013: Zara Dawtrey's article has been listed as the 3rd of the 5 "most popular" articles in the Hobart Mercury. In spite of having received Keith Noble's letter of protest and in spite of the concern expressed by Mercury readers, nothing more has been published.
Appendix: Keith Noble's letter to Zara Dawtrey of 9 May 2013
9 May 2013
This morning, I checked my emails and found many concerned Tasmanians and other Australians had emailed me a copy of your article (9 May 2013) in The Mercury related to the Port Arthur incident.
Of course I have skimmed it, but have no time today to study it. But several serious errors have jumped off the page, and I of course wonder why you did not contact me for details before you published your article. You do have all my contact details as you are on the case mailing list and you are sent regular updates. It really is not investigative journalism (perhaps you are a reporter) if you ignore the context of the story in which Michael Charles Dyson is a major player.
Currently, I am extremely busy working on Part 7 of the book which deals specifially with the Port Arthur incident witnesses. A person with a conscience who works in the office of the Tasmanian DPP has provided the Witness Statements.
The content of them is staggering. It is very easy to see why the State did everything it could to prevent those witnesses from testifying during a trial. It is one of the reasons why there was NO TRIAL. All their statements were denied and innocent Martin Bryant (with his 66 IQ and abilities of a grade 6 schoolboy) was set up then incarcerated for life. As you know, he's now being murdered at Risdon Prison - slowly.
(Have you ever thought of contacting the witnesses and writing something? Not just the ones who parrot the official narrative. The ones who saw the gunman up close and who have declared that it was not Matin Bryant. The ones who state times which puts Martin nowhere near PAHS.)
Once Part 7 is completed, I will turn my attention to a rebuttal to your article. Not being one for secrets, a copy will be sent to you, and your mate Dyson, and to everyone else on the international lists. You should have that rebuttal on Monday (13th), or Tuesday (14th).
Martin was 46 on Tuesday (7th) this week. It is doubted he knew it as his mind was probably destroyed years ago in prison. Despair and drugs do that. But no doubt his dear mother did remember that day. Unknowingly, however, you have provided Martin with the best birthday gift he could possibly get - PUBLICITY!
Dr. Keith Allan Noble, author
forthcoming book (June 2013)
Official Killing in Tasmania, Australia
most recent book (2nd edition 2012)
FIND! FALCONIO - Dead or Alive:
Concealing Crimes in Northern Territory, Australia
free pdfs & docs:
Martin Bryant has been sentenced to prison for the rest of his life because he was convicted of killing 35 people and wounding 23 others at Port Arthur in 1996. According to Vietnam Veteran, the late Brigadier Ted Serong, only the most elite of Australian troops could have performed such a feat of rapid movement and marksmanship, rarely missing, and with such a high proportion of fatal hits.
Article was originally published on 11 Feb 2013. The date has been changed to put this article back on the front page. Update, 29 July 2013 : Please download and freely distributeMass Murder - Official Killing in Tasmania, Australia (pdf - 718 pp, 13Mb) by Keith Noble completed on 27 July 2017. Keith was inspired by the article Was Martin Bryant the Port Arthur killer? of 3 April 2013 to write this book. On 9 May 2013, the article Port Arthur conspiracy anger by Zara Dawtrey in the Hobart Mercury, owned by Rupert Murdoch, again labeled Martin Bryant a "mass murderer" in the face of conclusive evidence to the contrary. - Ed, 19 May and 29 July, 2013.
Martin Bryant, aged 29, had an IQ of 66, equivalent to that of an 11 year old child, which put him in the lowest 1%-2% of the population.
How Martin could have trained himself to be so skilled and so deadly is impossible to conceive. Martin Bryant was found guilty after having uttered words that were taken to be a confession after many previous denials and many months in isolation under duress.
He was never tried and so the supposed evidence against him was never tested.
If you have anything you would like to raise, which is likely to be of interest to our site's visitors, which is not addressed by other articles, please add your comments here.
Comments made on previous "Miscellaneous comments" page from 23 March 2012 can be found here.
This page of comments has been disabled. Please add further comments here. - Ed, 5 May
If you have anything you would like to raise, which is likely to be of interest to our site's visitors, which is not addressed by other articles, please add your comments #comment-form">here.
Comments made on previous "Miscellaneous comments" page from 23 March 2012 can be found here.
This page of comments has been disabled. Please add further comments here. - Ed, 5 May
Update, 29 July 2013 : Please download and freely distributeMass Murder - Official Killing in Tasmania, Australia (pdf - 13Mb) by Keith Noble completed on 27 July 2017. Keith was inspired by this article and embedded video broadcasts to write this book. On 9 May 2013, the Hobart Mercury, owned by Rupert Murdoch, in the article Port Arthur conspiracy anger by Zara Dawtrey, again labeled Martin Bryant a "mass murderer" in the face of conclusive evidence to the contrary. - Ed, 19 May and 29 July, 2013.
I was motivated to write this brief article when fellow candobetter blogger, TigerQuoll, mistakenly in my view, in his article "Animal abuse inculcates social deviance" repeated the accepted wisdom of the guilt of Martin Bryant, now imprisoned for the rest of his life for the murder of 35 people at Port Arthur on 28 April 1996.
Over a year ago, I became aware that a number of credible people, some of whom had been directly affected by the terrible events of that day, disputed Martin Bryant's guilt and, instead, maintain that the real killer remains free.
Having viewed video presentations and speeches, it seems to me that the case in favour of Martin Bryant's innocence is compelling.
It is my hope that my having assembled the material here in this way will motivate people who hold Martin Bryant to be guilty to explain why they believe so.
Some factors which cause me to doubt Martin Bryant's Guilt
Many who are behind bars today for the crime of murder following hotly contested jury trials are most probably guilty. Examples which come to mind are Ivan Milat and Bradley John Murdoch, however others who have been convicted by jury trial for crimes have been found to be innocent. The most celebrated case, is of course, Lindy Chamberlain.
In August last year I came the firm view that Schapelle Corby, is innocent of the absurd crime of having attempted to smuggle marijuana worth $35,000 in Australia into a country where it would have been worth $5,000. In spite of the overwhelming evidence of Corby's innocence, almost the whole of the Australian political establishment and newsmedia is apparently resolved to uphold the fiction of her guilt and to let her rot away in the hell of Kerobokan prison for another 15 years at the grave risk of her losing her sanity, if not her life.
That they can be nearly unanimously wrong on this issue is cause to open our minds to the possibility that they might have also got it wrong in regard to Martin Bryant.
One indisputable fact is that the Australian newsmedia shamelessly inflamed public opinion against Martin Bryant, thereby destroying what little chance he stood of having a fair trial, should he have decided to maintain his initial 'not guilty' plea. Even the Wikipedia article acknowledges this:
Newspaper coverage immediately after the massacre raised serious questions about journalistic practices. Photographs of Martin Bryant had been digitally manipulated with the effect of making Bryant appear deranged. There were also questions as to how the photographs had been obtained. The Tasmanian Director of Public Prosecutions warned the media that the reporting compromised a fair trial and writs were issued against the Hobart Mercury (which used Bryant's picture under the headline "This is the man"), The Australian, The Age and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation over their coverage.
Image of Martin Bryant, referred to in Wikipedia article, with his eyes fraudulently highlighted by
the Sunday Telegraph to make him appear crazy.
As alluded to in the title of Andrew MacGregor's 10 minute talk "Aussie 9/11 'Port Arthur massacre'" the Port Arthur massacre in many ways fulfilled a similar role in Australian politics that the 9/11 false flag terrorist attack fulfilled in US politics. It caused much of the Australian population to view Prime Minister John Howard as some kind of benevolent caring father figure, rather than the leader of the malevolent, socially divisive government that he was. Strikingly, most of the supposed 'bleeding heart' small 'l' liberal chattering classes almost instantly forgave Howard for his vicious spending cutbacks because of his alleged 'courage' in introducing gun control to ostensibly prevent further Port Arthur massacres.
This largely helped to derail effective political resistance to the Howard Government for much of the ensuing decade.
It would be interesting to know if, when in 1998, the Howard Government unleashed mercenaries and Rottweilers on Australia's waterfront workforce in its ultimately unsuccessful attempt to destroy the Maritime Union of Australia, or when, in 2003, John Howard sent our armed forces to participate in the illegal invasion of Iraq on the pretext of the lie of Weapons of Mass Destruction, those members of the chattering classes ever contemplated their pronouncements of John Howard's sincerity in his professed abhorrence of violence back in 1996.
I will include below, some links to resources about the Port Arthur massacre, mostly against the official account, but some for.
The Port Arthur Massacre - Was Martin Bryant Framed? parts 1, 2 & 3 (pdf 100K, 111K & 126K) by #CarlWernerhoff" id="CarlWernerhoff">Carl Wernerhoff in Nexus#main-fn1">1 magazine issue 77 of June-July 2006.)
Suddenly One Sunday of (undated) on by Patrick Bellamy on trutv.com. This is an article which accepts the official account of the Port Arthur. The article also includes three other pages: 2, 3 & 4.
Sour Dealings on ABC TV's Media Watch of 18 May 09 about complaints by Carleen Bryant against the authors of Martin Bryant, Born or Bred.
YouTube video broadcasts
Video broadacasts are, in my own experience, the fastest way to gain an initial understanding of a complex issue, although they are no replacement for a well-written and well sourced textual article. I recommend that readers begin by viewing the 10 minute video "Aussie 9/11 'Port Arthur massacre'" of former policeman Andrew McGregor putting the case for Martin Bryant's innocence. If that sparks your interest, then please proceed to watch the subsequent videos of longer and more in-depth presentations, "Port Arthur massacre - Martin Bryant set up, part 1 of 2" (59') and "Port Arthur massacre - Martin Bryant set up, part 1 of 2" (98'). There is a 10' "conspiracy theory debunking" style video with the misleading title "Port Arthur massacre - Martin Bryant set up, part 3". The last two are two 10' videos of straight Channel 7 news reporting of the time, "Port Arthur massacre part 1 of 2" and "Port Arthur massacre part 2 of 2".
The misleadingly titled "Port Arthur massacre - Martin Bryant set up, part 3". This is, in fact,a suposedly "debunking" video. In its 10 minutes it focuses mostly on personally attacking Andrew McGregor and Wendy Scurr, but addresses almost none of the arguments they have put. Original at www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCmLCQdiOXs
#main-fn1" id="main-fn1">1.#main-fn1-txt">↑ Although Nexus magazine has printed material that I consider unscientific, such about UFO's or the Hollow Earth Theory, so too does the mainstream media every day of the week when they uphold the fictions of free market economic theory, that population growth is beneficial or or the Official account of 9/11. Nexus does publish quality articles about issues that the mainstream media will not cover.
#main-fn2" id="main-fn2">2.#main-fn2-txt">↑, #main-fn3" id="main-fn3">3.#main-fn3-txt">↑, #main-fn4" id="main-fn4">4.#main-fn4-txt">↑ Joe Viallis died in 2005. A web-site containing other articles by Joe Viallis can be found here. Whilst I have to reserve judgement on some of the other articles he has written, his treatment of the Port Arthur Massacre, from my having skimmed over the article, seems sound.