Responding to "Plan Melbourne 2017-2050" and changes to the Planning Scheme which will transfer government powers to private developers, Planning Backlash will rally on the steps of Parliament on 8 June 2017 at 1pm.
RESTORE RESIDENTS' RIGHTS
‘PLAN MELBOURNE 2017-2050’ AND PLANNING SCHEME CHANGES WILL FURTHER REMOVE RESIDENTS RIGHTS.
Rally on the steps of Parliament 8th June at 1 pm.
We demand that residents’ rights are restored and that Plan Melbourne 2017-2050 is amended accordingly.
Not only does this latest ‘Plan Melbourne’ remove more of our rights, the protection provided by the residential zones has been dramatically reduced and 70% of all new development will be forced into our established suburbs. Also multi-storey apartments in your local street will be encouraged with no objections allowed.
Professor Michael Buxton (School of Global, Urban & Social Studies, RMIT) will be the main presenter along with other prominent speakers.
Your’s and your members’ presence will help us to get our rights restored and changes made to protect our homes.
Authorized by Mary Drost, Convenor of PLANNING BACKLASH INC. registered under the Associations Incorporation Act . Planning Backlash is a coalition of over 250 resident andcommunity groups from across Melbourne as well as country and coastal areas of Victoria. PO Box 1034 Camberwell 3124
Candobetter.net Editor: The following document will be handed out at the rally. Please read it, talk it and send it everywhere:
Residents' Bill of Rights
We, the current residents of Melbourne, country and coastal areas of Victoria, call on the government and opposition at all levels to act to protect our homes, communities and cities from over-development.
The current trend of excessive population growth through the ever increasing levels of immigration.
The excessive influence of vested interests and lobby groups upon residential planning and government decision making.
The increasing densification of residential areas and the consequent impact on our infrastructure without commensurate infrastructure upgrades at all levels.
The continual changes to planning law and regulations that provides no certainty for the peaceful enjoyment of our neighbourhoods by the current and future residents.
The continual urban sprawl into Melbourne’s green fringe and farming land.
• Population growth targets to be limited to sustainable levels based on OECD averages which is currently around 0.63%. (Australia’s rate of growth is currently around 1.7% ).
• Infrastructure be upgraded to meet current needs and kept ahead of requirements to meet our cities population growth requirements.
• A bipartisan planning environment that provides certainty and protects residential areas against densification in any form.
• Councils to be the sole “responsible Authority” for issuing planning permits and building permits.
• VCAT’s role to be confined to resolution of legal planning disputes and ensuring that lawful planning regulations are met.
• FIRB rules and penalties designed and strictly applied to prevent destruction of existing housing stock and neighbourhood character by foreign nationals.
• Expansion and development of regional cities and associated infrastructure to support population growth and lifestyle quality.
• Developer donations be deemed illegal with mandatory disqualification, forfeiture, or dismissal from or of any current or future development.
• Protection of current open space and tree canopy with requirement to retain or replace vegetation on all new or redevelopment sites.
• Government, at all levels, legally required to assess and protect the interests of residents ahead of developers’ interests.
• All planning committees and reference groups must have at reasonable resident representation.
• Legislate to ensure permits can be refused where a poll of residents/owners living within 300m radius of the proposed development indicates objection by the majority of existing residents/owners.
• A national uniform code be developed to define minimum dwelling size, minimum open space per bedroom and maximum occupancy limits.
• Enforceable minimum Victorian building standards regulations administered by an independent authority.
• Any breach of a planning permit or building standards should result in a prosecution by the relevant authority or the State or local Government to ensure proper rectification
• Developers to meet infrastructure costs necessary for new developments including drainage, sewage, water supply, telecommunications, gas and electricity.
• Developers to be required to contribute to a general community/Council infrastructure fund, , based on number of bedrooms or estimated improved value of the property.
• Neighbourhood character, architecture and heritage requirements to be met by every new residential development.
• Establishment and enforcement of resident and visitor car parking standards, for new multi-dwelling developments, at the rate of 0.75 spaces per bedroom, for residents and 0.25 spaces for visitors.
• Character protection for heritage and traditional local shopping strips.
[This bill was] Published & authorized by PLANNING BACKLASH, on behalf of it’s 250
supporting residents' groups in Melbourne, country & coastal areas.
PO Box 1034 Camberwell, Vic. 3124
Simone (not verified)
Fri, 2017-05-26 17:01
Planning Minister's insane objective
Fri, 2017-05-26 18:18
Why didn't Rafael Epstein question this dangerous insanity?
VivKay (not verified)
Sat, 2017-05-27 15:56
No Plan for Melbourne - just zombie growth
Olive Bax (not verified)
Sat, 2017-05-27 22:21
Tue, 2017-05-30 01:20
What mandate has Wynne to double Melbourne's population?
What can adding 5 million more residents to Melbourne by 2050 possibly do for Melbourne's current 5 million residents? Melbourne is already terribly overcrowded and congested. Clearly, moving so many people to Melbourne over 13 years can only cause massive harm to Melbourne's current inhabitants.
Paraodoxically, a small minority stands to perversely gain by destroying the quality of life of most other Melbourne residents. Also, given that many of the new residents will be priveleged members of poor Third World countries, their moving to Australia can only add to the transfer of wealth out of those poor countries into the pockets of Australian developers as well as to support their own anticipated more affluent lifestyles.
This plan to so drastically change Victoria was never put to Victorian voters at the last state election of 29 November 2014. Neither Premier Daniel Andrews nor Planning Minister Richard Wynne have any mandate to proceed with this insane plan. If they fail to abandon this plan, they should resign and call new elections.
John Bentley (not verified)
Tue, 2017-05-30 09:29
Homework and Footwork